November 18, 2007

Another Way to Invest in Real Estate

Guys:

In addition to buying and selling hosues, I follow the general real estae market very closely and have rcently started to buy home builder stocks - I am slowing adding to my holdings of the ITB iShares index which trades at around 18 to 20 now - this is down from a high of 45.
This is high risk stuff but I beleive that the hosuing stocks have been so beaten down thier downside is very low.

I do beleive that housing prices probably have another 10-15% to fall on average before this cycle ends. I bet there will be more bankruptcies among homebuilders before all of this is done.

When the cycle is done I thick we see many of the following signs:
  • Surviving builders trade at 50-75% of written-down book value.
  • Earnings are negative, but no longer getting worse.
  • Early value investors will have given up on the sector.
  • Old standards will return for loan underwriting.
  • Financial magazines will talk about prudence in borrowing against residential real estate, and how it is not a “one way ticket” to riches.
  • Inventory levels decline 20% from their peak levels

This is an interesting additional way to play the real etate market

Thanks

Mike

No comments: